I often wonder about this when it comes to news, politics, and to a lesser degree ads.
I was talking with a self-proclaimed religious man a few weeks ago and he was telling me how it was hard to look on the bright side of things when it came to politics and how it seemed like the same thing over and over again and stuff was only getting worse. I ended up telling him to look on the bright side of things and try to get him out of this mood.
However...when it comes to news about the Level 3 Kill Storm of the Snowpocalypse (my browser confirms that's an actual word
) and the bad news about near world ending stuff in the works (which is always happening). As well as how we're all going to have a terrible president in the future and we're all going to die from it, etc., etc. It's no wonder depression runs rampant in the U.S. having one in ten people affected (I'm sure from other issues as well, just using this as an example).
As for me, I'm an optimist, I can often find the bright side of things when other people cannot. I think it's easier to go through life and focus in on the bad things about it and either be indifferent to it or feel down in the dumps because of it. To be an optimist you need to see beyond those things to something better: hope. It's easy to emulate the obvious downers in this world, it's harder to focus in and hang onto the positive. So I thought I'd give you a few positive things to focus on here:
- Is there ground beneath you that holds you up? Good
- Is your Internet working? Did your Computer turn on? Good
- Is your heater/air conditioning working? Good
- Is the universe unimaginably huge and have tons of potential? Check
- Can you find a small universe in a rain droplet? Check
- Is the sky on fire? No? Great
- Is the human capacity for invention and perseverance nearly infinite? Fantastic
- Can you talk to and interact with other humans in your race? Check
- Does our species allow reproduction and continue to thrive? Awesome
- Are you alive and made it through reading this? Thanks...and er good.
There you go, focus on stuff like that, hopefully that will inspire you for a day, 2 days, or possibly a week. Depends how much you focus in on the good parts of it.
Also a shoutout to all you people that have given me 200,000 page views, thanks everyone!